Software Design Lead
- Publication date
- UK Leeds Communisis House
- Contract Type
- Schedule Type
- Full Time
- United Kingdom
Communisis is an integrated business services company which drives client value through the provision of increasingly digitally enabled solutions for regulated communication and marketing execution. Communisis has built its organisation to deliver on this, with a unique combination of market and consumer insight, customer communications strategy, technology and transformational expertise.
The Software Designer is expected to be the owner of technical design. To drive and actively own both the Technical Design and Build & Test elements of the SDLC. This is in order to assure the delivery of high-quality, fit for purpose products that meet business/client requirements.
They would also be a technical mentor to other Engineers/Developers when required and provide technical guidance in software design and development activity.
The role is far reaching and includes regular interaction and collaboration with multiple areas within of technology, including but not exclusively, Architecture, Solutions Design, Application Support/IT Operations, SQA, and Product Management.
This role is were required still a hands on role.
- Responsible for contributing to and reviewing Architecture Design Document (ADD): The Principal Software Engineer will use the existing documents to date (BRD, Solution Proposal) and the other relevant development team members to review the ADD, in order to commence the creation of the Technical Design.
- Responsible for Creation of the Technical Design: The Principal Software Engineer collates all knowledge and input and creates the Technical Design. They are also responsible for ensuring any subsequent design’s for areas such as Infrastructure are identified and to inform the Product/Service Development Manager of the need.
- Responsible for providing high level estimates to and within the Impact Assessment Process (IA).
- In conjunction with the Product/Service Development Manager and Product Management, contribute to the release content process ensuring the needs of development i.e. technical debt is represented.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the Design process.
- Be an active participant and contributor to the recruitment process for Developers/Engineers and were applicable SQA’s and other similar roles
- Work closely and in partnership with the relevant development/delivery manager to seek improvements in the overall SDLC.
- Work with Head of Software Testing /Test Manager to continuously improve the Testing strategy of our products.
- Work with Application support to continuously improve the supportability of our products.
- Work with product managers to ensure the voice of development is heard in terms of the technical direction and debt of our products.
What You'll Bring
The role requires strong stakeholder management and the ability to listen and act on opinions of many areas in order to create design and solutions that are fit not only for the client but for communisis too.
The role holder should be seen as a mentor to others and subsequently the behavioural skills within the role is as critical as that of their technical capability.
Other important skills;
- Effective Communication skills – both oral and written
- Proven development skills and keen attention to detail / thoroughness.
- Thought Leadership
- People Development and Growth
- Stakeholder management skills
- The ability to clearly convey and articulate your ideas to others and be a strong communicator and influencer.
- Have a conscious understanding of customers and/or users.
- An ability to think of the bigger picture with a focus on the business as the end goal.